404 Not Found
Published in Networking.
The 404 status code, or a Not Found error, means that the user is able to communicate with the server but it is unable to locate the requested file or resource.
404 errors can occur in a large variety of situations. If the user is unexpectedly receiving a 404 Not Found error, here are some questions to ask while troubleshooting:
- Does the link that directed the user to your server resource have a typographical error in it?
- Did the user type in the wrong URL?
- Does the file exist in the correct location on the server? Was the resource was moved or deleted on the server?
- Does the server configuration have the correct document root location?
- Does the user that owns the web server worker process have privileges to traverse to the directory that the requested file is in? (Hint: directories require read and execute permissions to be accessed)
- Is the resource being accessed a symbolic link? If so, ensure the web server is configured to follow symbolic links